Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Public Nudity

Yeah I did it. I was naked in public. Sort of. I can't say its the first time, but it was the first time where it wasn't pitch dark and in a lake. (Skinny-dipping as a teenager.)

On Saturday, I went to the very fabulous and wonderful Burke Williams Spa in Pasadena with a couple of girlfriends. Holy cow. Talk about a fantastic day. I felt so pampered and refreshed. I loved every second.

We started early in the morning to take advantage of all the awesomeness. First took a dip in the hot tub, then moved to the steam room, the sauna, the misting room, then back to the hot tub again. Just kind of rotated around the whole place until it was time for our individual appointments. The other gals got pedicures while I went and got the Pure Relaxation massage. The name doesn't lie. By the end of the 25-minute session, I could barely open my eyes because I was so relaxed and comfortable. (Although I've been sore for 2 days after she worked out all the kinks. I know, I've got it tough.)

Since my treatment was shorter than the other girls', I had a bit of time to kill before getting ready. So the Finn in me decided, since I was in a spa and I was already naked from my massage and apparently the women around me had no problem being naked, then why not? So I shed my robe and QUICKLY got in the hot tub. I sat there for awhile, getting used to the idea and then I was like OK, next step - steam room. I QUICKLY got out of the hot tub, wrapped myself in a tiny towel and walked to the steam room. As I sat down and unwrapped my towel, I just kept thinking "I'm naked!" There was only a couple other women in the room and its so steamy you can barely even see your hand in front of your face, let alone the other side of the room. But its funny - I didn't feel as self-conscious as I thought I would. I'm not a girl who's EVER been entirely comfortable with her body. I mean I've even read in my journal as early as the age of 12 that I was going on a diet. 12 YEARS OLD. So its pretty much always been an issue for me.

But as I sat there in all my naked glory, I let it all hang out and weirdly enough, I would go as far to say that I even felt a little SEXY. It was nice to not worry about it and just be. I know this isn't exactly daring, seeing that I was in a SPA. But I do know its hard for women to accept our bodies and be comfortable enough to let complete strangers see what we got going on. But its freeing. I highly recommend it, ladies.

2 comments:

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

That is the stuff Finns are made of! Feeling free and "normal" even in our birthday suits! When I first came to US I was surprised how people here thought being naked was somehow "bad" or "sinful" but eventually part of me learned to appreciate the modesty. So now we can have the best of both worlds. :)

Camille said...

i have one word for you. JEALOUS!! that sounds so wonderful. way to be free girl, it sounds like i need to give it a try!