Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ew.

I was not going to post anything about this because I didn't want to make a big deal over it or have anyone worry. But I'm going to anyway. Because its gross.

So, I went to the dermatologist on Tuesday. I was referred there by my normal doctor because of an abnormal mole that I had been watching change and grow for the last year or so. It had the irregular edges, it was red in the middle and I just wanted to make SURE I don't have skin cancer. I have no family history of it, but I was not the smartest teenager and loved being tan, so now I'm a bit paranoid. The dermatologist took a look at it through a scope and said it didn't look like melanoma from the outside. But the irregular edges made her a little nervous too, so she thought we should just "shave" it off and send it in for a biopsy, right then and there. Obviously I was numb, so I couldn't feel them taking it off and I'll admit, my imagination was running wild because I also refused to look.

But nothing prepared me for when I actually had to take the bandages off today to clean the wound. I didn't know there would be a perfectly cut circle. I didn't know that it would be quite a bit below my skin line. I didn't know I would see white, green, and red things. I could only stomach looking at it as long is it took me to snap this photo, and then I cleaned and bandaged it as quickly as I could. Here's a small thumbnail so you don't have to see it if you don't want to... But I know your curiosity will get the best of you!

When these things happen I am reminded that I could NEVER have been a doctor. This itty bitty hole in my arm was enough to make me light-headed and I had to drink some water and sit down for awhile! HAHA. What a wuss. But really.

Ew.

I will get test results in about a week, so I'll keep everyone posted. But the doctors really didn't seem worried, so I won't either!

4 comments:

Norma Lilian said...

Whadaya know, I didn't get grossed out. My grandma had that done a couple of years ago, the skin grew back perfectly, you can't tell at all. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, I won't worry either, but I'll still say a few prayers.

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

Seems like such a HUGE hole for such a small mole! Praying that all is well and that you will be good as new! Love you, princess!
MOM

Stacey said...

I've had that done three times. Yep, a circle. It's strange. So the healing worried me just like you. It looked like a crater. I had one just below my shoulder and one on my stomach. They healed with a very light scar and they are almost level with my skin line. Not too bad. I can barely tell that there is anything there.

The third one was a biopsy and a slice. My scar is two inches long. Totally in a spot that only my huz sees. :)
TMI?

Good luck with healing. you'll do fine.

dxeechick said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies!