Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year's Eve Without High Heels...

Typically, this is how my New Year's Eve goes: I take my time choosing something to wear. The outfit is usually based around the high heels I'm sporting. I love my high heels. So my husband and I get all decked out and head to a friend's party or maybe a bar. We are excited to go out, and always seem to have a really good time. The only annoying thing is all the crowds and the cost of everything. We make it work. There have been a couple years where my younger brothers and sister were visiting. So I would rush home right after midnight to spend time with them, leaving my husband with the friends. At home, we would drink sparkling cider and maybe play some video games or watch TV. But this act of going home on New Year's Eve and getting in my pajamas was somehow even more fun than being out on the town in my high heels.

Our favorite dinner spot.

So THIS year, I made it a goal to convince my husband that it would be more fun to stay home than to go out. And it worked! We first got a sushi dinner at my favorite place Octopus. We ate soooo much and I even tried a couple new things. After dinner, I asked if we could get fried ice cream, but he wanted frozen yogurt instead. So we started walking toward the yogurt place when I mentioned that I didn't really want yogurt. He joked that I had ruined his New Year's Eve. We laughed about it and stopped by the grocery store for some Haagen Dazs instead. We got into PJ's and ordered Get Smart on demand. (I know, I know there wasn't a whole lot we hadn't seen. But if you've seen the original show, it wasn't all that bad...) We lazily and comfortably watched the movie until about 5 minutes before midnight. Turned on one of the countdown shows and I couldn't help but wonder - why are all the countdown hosts like the biggest douchebags ever? Ryan Seacrest? Carson Daly? Oh brother. As we watched, I got a little jealous of all the people hanging out in Times Square. Until I heard it was 19 degrees there with a windchill of 2. That made me glad that I was in my cozy home.

Sparkling Cider and Haagen Dazs. Doesn't get much better.

At approximately 11:57, I felt a tingle in my tummy and realized I had to go to the bathroom! Right now? There are only 3 minutes till midnight! I really don't want to ring in New Year's on the toilet. That can't be any sort of good luck! So I hurried as fast as I could and made it out with 45 seconds to spare. Phew. Hubby and I counted down along with an awkward Dick Clark (poor guy) and wished each other a Happy New Year with a big ol' smooch. It was an extra nice kiss, since we weren't in public. We toasted with sparkling cider, then watched a biography on Ben Stiller and went to bed.

This one is just CUTE!

So not the most exciting New Year's Eve, but definitely the most relaxing. It will be up for debate whether we do it again next year, but I was glad we got to spend the whole night together. Now, on to 2009! We have never really made resolutions, but we do have some goals that we are already working on. And we can only hope and pray that this next year will be as wonderful as the last few. Cheers!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I totally agree with the douchebags. Carson Daly looks anorexic or just totally smaller than he used too.

At least you had a partner. One of my partners was asleep and other working.

Dick Clark...very awkward. poor guy.

Cute kitty

David and Ally said...

I was the only one at Amy's that thought it was wierd that they even let Dick Clark on tv. Everyone else felt bad, as do I for the record. But come on, he doesn't need to be on the show anymore. Ryan Seacrest ruins it all by himself! Anywho, I remember the high heel days of New Years, I am now onto the port-a-crib New Years. Love it too though. Just in a TOTALLY different way. Glad you had a great time. Heres to 09.