Monday, November 17, 2008

Photo Opps

Besides shopping for a few hours with my husband (that never happens. His shopping stamina is usually 30 minutes MAX), the best thing I did this weekend was ride the subway over to downtown LA to witness the Equality Rally and March. This was a huge protest that was put together by the people who oppose Prop 8. Hubs and I had heard about it and thought it would be interesting to see, but when it came time to get out of bed on Saturday, we were having second thoughts. Eventually, we got up and decided to get our butts down there anyway.

We didn't go there to make any type of statement, just knew it would be a great opportunity for some pictures. And it was. Regardless of all the opinions flying around about this proposition, the main thing for me was that it was just really overwhelming and intense to see so many people gathered together for one purpose. I had never seen anything like that! I was worried it might turn into some religion-bashing event, but it wasn't like that at all. There are actually a lot of spiritual gay people out there. Sure, there are also those that had mean things to say about the Mormons or Catholics, but that was not the overall vibe of the day. Everyone was so nice and supportive of each other. Straight or gay, there were lots and lots of people showing their support. I felt very humbled being part of something so much bigger than myself.

I don't know if the proposition should be overturned, because Californians have already voted on it twice, but I don't really believe this prop should have ever been on the ballot in the first place. It's such a tough issue. But that's just me and there I go stating my opinions again. But, really it was a cool experience and something I won't soon forget.

Other good stuff this weekend:
Gap Friends and Family Coupons
Quantum of Solace
Soft Tacos
Reserved Seating at movie theaters
Baby Mama
Mervyn's Going Out of Business Sale
Popcorn
Sleep
Coach 25% off Coupon
Not cleaning like I was supposed to
Sour Patch Kids
Gadoo snuggles
Bob's Big Boy

Bad things:
Fire

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those are some pretty cool photos, they look like something you would see in the news! and fires are a pretty bad thing... boo on fires.