Monday, August 25, 2008

Youth of the Nation

What a fun weekend we had! My husband's 2nd cousins (and god-sons) were here visiting all the way from Ashland, Wisconsin. They usually come out this way about once a year, but we hardly ever spend more than a couple hours with them. This time they actually stayed at our house for two nights, so that was exciting.

But mind you, these two guys are no ordinary teenagers. They literally live out in the boonies. They don't have access to more than 4 TV channels. They ride their bikes everywhere. They are in a band. They get summer jobs working on farms or for the Fish and Gaming Department. They don't play video games.

So with the lack of superficial entertainment that most of us rely on, they are actually THINKERS. On Saturday night, they wanted to stay in and catch up on things rather than go out on the town. They are hilarious too. So we just had a lot of fun. I'll be honest, it was good to have my brother there as sort of a buffer, though. Since Hubby and I are getting old, we are a little behind on what the kids are into these days and sometimes had no clue what those 3 were talking about. Haha.

But it was really refreshing to hang out with them. You see so much negative influence out there that you wonder if there is hope for the younger generations. Well, I can tell you if there are more kids like this out there - we'll be OK. PHEW!

1 comment:

treen+5 said...

Cool! I didn't know such teenagers existed. Do you really need to talk about getting old? I am happily in denial and I would like to stay that way!