Saturday, January 12, 2008

Road To Recovery


I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday. Some people warned me it would be awful, but most said it was no big deal. Let me tell you, it is a big deal! Hubby couldn't take me because he got called into jury duty. So a girlfriend of mine drove me to the dentist and waited to take me home.

The surgery itself was bizarre. I felt like I was awake the whole time and that the surgery only took 5 minutes. As I walked out, they told me I had been in there for about half an hour. It seemed impossible to not even REMEMBER that I had fallen asleep. But I was relieved I had woken up! I'd never been under anesthesia before and I was terrified. As we drove home, I was very aware of what I was saying because I didn't want to seem like I wasn't making sense. I've heard some people coming out of surgery say some really funny things so I was trying to control myself. One really weird thing was trying to sit down. I kept feeling like I was falling. I'm pretty sure that's as close to being drunk as I'll ever be.

The first few hours I was at home, I didn't feel too bad. The anesthesia was still in my system, so I wasn't really hungry or anything, just wanted to relax. And my girlfriend took really good care of me. Got me mashed potatoes and Jello and just hung out at the house and watched movies with me to keep an eye on things. Very sweet. But as the anesthesia wore off, my gums started to hurt REAL bad. I couldn't swallow anything. Even with the painkillers, it was just really awful. Later in the day, the pain seemed to calm down a little, but every time I tried to eat, I would throw up. So let me tell ya, I was not a happy camper. Hungry and hurting is not a good combination for me!

Thank goodness I felt better when I woke up this morning. I'm definitely not 100% and my cheekies are still swollen (not that they could get much bigger than they already are) but I have been able to keep down a few small meals, so I am on the road to recovery! After the way I felt yesterday, I didn't think it was possible. But its really, truly amazing that your body knows what to do and how to heal itself. I'm impressed!

No comments: