Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Birthday Engagement

One of my girlfriends and I share a birthday really close together. So it has become a tradition over the last few years to celebrate together. The friends arranged the party for last night. And honestly, I wasn't really up for it at first. I have been sick with the flu this last week, so it sounded more like work than fun. I'd have to get ready. And I'd have to drive to a restaurant. It would be exhausting! But once we got out there, I ended up having a good time.

We all met for dinner at Casa Vega - a tasty and popular Mexican place in the Valley. So popular, that the wait was over an hour. But with 12 people on a Friday night, pretty much anywhere in LA will be a minimum of an hour wait. So we waited and finally got seated at a tight corner table near the bar, which meant it was LOUD. The table basically got divided in half because we couldn't hear what one side was talking about, and they couldn't hear us either. We'd wave to each other once in awhile to confirm we knew they were there, but until the bar cleared out a little, there wasn't a lot of conversation happening. Once it DID quiet down a little, my girlfriend and her man announced their engagement! We were all so excited!! This is a couple who has been together for 10 years. High school sweethearts. And we always make fun of the guy for being too chicken to propose. But he finally did! Thank goodness.

After dinner started winding down, we went to our friend's house and - the crazy party people that we are - played ROCK BAND for the next couple hours. Best video game of all time, if you ask me. I won't lie. I'm decent when it comes to the guitar and the singing. But the drums kick my butt.

So anyway, that was our wild birthday night on the town. But it never fails. We can be out rockin' with the best of them, but we usually have our funnest times and our biggest laughs when we are just hanging out being dorks. I think that is the basis for a good and long-lasting friendship.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Jaana the question is Are really feeling better? Has you face stop hurting!!! I love reading your life experience. oh and I just love you!!! love aunt Jeannie

dxeechick said...

my face is feeling a LOT better. my jaw is still sore where they yanked those teeth out, but its healing up pretty well. and i'm eating solid food - so i am happy about that! miss you and love you too!

Anonymous said...

Man, that guy took forever to propose. I'm glad that chicken finally dropped his huevos and did something about it. That girl sure must love him. I'm glad you had fun that night...