Sunday, September 18, 2011

Parental Advice

On Saturday, I went to one of my oldest friend's baby shower. Not old as in she is old, but old as in I've known her since the 7th Grade. It was awesome to see her all glowing with pregnancy.
We participated in an array of activities, like guessing the belly size, taking a quiz on how well we know mama-to-be, and eating fresh tacos. We also were supposed to write down a few words of advice on parenthood. I don't usually give people advice on parenthood. Because each parent and child are so different and I know sometimes it drove me nuts that everyone seemed to know more than me! As I have learned, I can now take that advice in stride and I am also someone who will give advice, but only if you ask. So here are my tips on parenthood - 8 months into it, I'm a real expert. (Haha!)

1. Make the bath water a little warmer than you think it should be.
2. Don't buy a bottle warmer, but do get a wipe warmer & plenty of binkies.
3. No matter how many cute outfits the baby has, onesies are the best and easiest; they'll be worn 90% of the time.
4. Make time for each other, even if it's 5 minutes during baby's nap.
5. Don't compare your baby to other babies and don't compare yourself to other parents.
6. Invest in a good electric double breast pump.
7. Any arguments after midnight should not count towards your marriage.
8. You will probably end up owning 3 strollers. Accept that and find storage space for all of them.
9. It's OK if you don't use that beautiful nursery right away.
10. Be flexible. Almost nothing goes the way you expect it to.

Ta-daaaaaa!

7 comments:

absolutebob said...

I think I'm ready to be a mother!

Alicia said...

Great advice.
You ARE a pro. Own it!

As for the wipe warmer, I don't get it. I think they are lame. Are they really that cool? Although, I LOVE my Diaper Genie.

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

Jaana, you are such a beautiful mother - and more of an expert on a lot of things I never had to experience or learn about. You are some kind of wonderful!! I love you. Hugs!

dxeechick said...

alicia, honestly the wipe warmer was my husband's advice. i could go either way. stevie's tooshie is just extra spoiled! haha diaper genie is a must-have!

PBJ Mommy said...

With ya on everything but the wipes warmer. Complete waste of money IMHO.
Oh and a video monitor, especially for the three year old, worth every penny.

HomeView, LLC. said...

No no no... you're all silly. A newborn HATES cold wipes. They'll cry their butts off the moment it touches them. A warmed wipe does the trick. Trust me.

dxeechick said...

plus we got it as a gift, so no waste of money here! amy, good call on the video monitor. it's pretty awesome. you can't have a techie husband and NOT own one. haha :)