Friday, January 14, 2011

Movin' On Up

Well we made it up to the 6th Floor. It is a good thing for the most part because it means that Stevie is on the road to recovery! The only bummer about it is that now he doesn't have his own full-time nurse catering to his every need 24 hours a day. The nurses up here have so many more patients, they can't be nearly as attentive. So a lot of the work is left to the husband and I. This is great when we get to feed him and love on him, but it sucks when anything out of the ordinary happens.

For instance, today I changed his diaper and he threw a raging fit where he was forgetting to breathe and turned bright red as his oxygen levels started to drop. No nurse in sight. I sort of lost my cool, and started crying, feeling like I myself was going to have a heart attack. But he quickly calmed down and returned to his normal color, while I was left feeling freaked out and extra nervous to try and change another diaper ever again! I really hope THAT doesn't happen every time. Geez.

Other than me being a bit of an overreacter, everything has been looking pretty good. Stephen's vitals are still great and he is off most of the medications. He has started eating breast milk from the bottle and if he can keep that up consistently, that will be a huge step in the right direction. The other thing they are monitoring is his chest wound. They want to make sure that heals up nicely. If it does, I have a feeling we will be home in the next week!

We are so proud of our little guy for all the progress he has made. And I do have to send out a huge thank you to the staff and surgeons and nurses in the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU). They really work so hard taking care of their patients and obviously we wouldn't be where we are today without them.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iTouch

2 comments:

PBJ Mommy said...

We were so happy to come in and see that Steven had graduated out of our room and is doing so well. We hope to be kicked out to the
6th floor soon too but I hope you are long gone, healthy, happy, and home by then.
So glad we exchanged blogs so we can keep up with Steven.

Anonymous said...

You can't see me, and probably don't believe me, but I am doing my happy dance for you all! :)

--Heather