Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Invention of Lying

I L.O.V.E. Ricky Gervais. Loved him in The Office. Loved him in Extras. Loved his stand-up. He is one of the most clever writers out there. There were a lot of good cameos in this movie, but he is definitely the right choice for the leading man. (Especially since he wrote, directed, produced, etc, etc, etc.) Jennifer Garner was great too. I mean how adorable is she?

Throughout this movie, I kept imagining what life would be like if really, truly nobody could lie. Pretty bizarre. And the film could have be an accurate depiction, it's hard to say. Everyone is blunt, everyone is categorized, everyone is gullible - they have no reason not to be. Why they divulge every little thought they had was beyond me, but you have to get the laughs from somewhere, eh? Overall I thought it was a great little comedy with heart. Gervais is good at these touching story-lines too. Unexpectedly good. So it was an all around enjoyable movie.

Be forewarned, if you are religious, he pokes fun at the idea of God and revelation. He is an atheist, so you should just know that going in. I personally am not religious, but still believe in all those things that make up the foundations of religion. I can just see where he's coming from. I feel sad for him, but he's still hilarious.

2 comments:

dani said...

ah! thanks for posting about this... i was curious... LOVED ghost town with him in it-did you see that one?

dxeechick said...

of course! i loved that one too :)