Monday, October 12, 2009

Fresh Coat

The last couple weeks I have been keeping busy with projects around the house - mostly painting. When we first moved into the condo in '05 and painted the living room, we chose a color that we THOUGHT would look great. We didn't buy any test samples, just 4 gallons of Lavender Moon.

Yeah, that didn't quite work out.

When all was said and done, we pretty much ended up with pink walls. For years we've been talking about hiring someone to re-paint. Just because we remembered how much work it was the first time and we didn't want to go through that again. But a couple weeks ago, upon finding out that hiring a painter would cost a minimum of $3,000, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot on my own. I have done things differently this time. I bought about 8 sample cans and tested all of them before settling on a color. I climbed a tall ladder all on my own to reach the high ceilings. I didn't tape off a lot of the edges and have carefully painted by hand. All in all, it's working out pretty well. I'm actually enjoying it. I put on my paint clothes, blast some music and just take my time. Hubby helped with some of the hard to reach areas, but I'm proud of myself for getting most of it done on my own. The living room, hallway and dining room are almost complete! The new paint has made a big difference. Things feel much more warm and cozy. The office and bedroom are a little intimating because of all the big furniture I have to move, but I know I can do it.

The only downside with new paint is that it brings to the forefront all the other things we still want to change. New fireplace stone, crown molding, new shelves in the laundry area, new kitchen, new carpet... oy vey. The wish-list goes on and on. So we set a budget for ourselves and are doing what we can in baby steps. But it sure will be nice when its done. And then after all that work, hopefully we'll sell it! Haha...

Pictures coming soon!

No comments: