Monday, July 20, 2009

Under the Boardwalk, We'll Be Havin' Some Fun...

The crew headed up north this past weekend to see one of our own get hitched. The wedding was in Santa Cruz, one of my favorite little cities. And this was the first time I've ever been to a wedding on the beach! Mind you, this was no Hawaii, so it was quite cold and windy, but at least we didn't get rained out or washed away by a tidal wave or something. The couple has been together almost 10 years and we were happy to see them take the plunge. *Side note: What is up with Burbank guys waiting a century to marry their girlfriends?

Anyway, we left for SC on Friday night and hit a ton of traffic on the way out, turning our 6 hour drive into an 8 hour one. Bummer. But we made it in one piece and were anxious to settle down into our comfortable hotel beds - except they weren't so comfortable. Double bummer! The hotel we picked was a glorified (and much more expensive) Motel 6. It wasn't until the last day that I figured out how to use the shower without water spraying in every which direction. And the "Large Double Beds" were slightly bigger than a twin. Not exactly a dream getaway. But I guess for being cheapskates, we couldn't be too picky.

Saturday was devoted to the wedding. As I mentioned, it was cold at the beach, but the secluded location on the water fit the couple so perfectly. As soon as the ceremony ended, we rushed outta there to get some warmth back in our bodies and fix our wind-blown hair. Then off to the reception. It was right on the Boardwalk in a room with a retractable glass roof! It was quite breathtaking when you first walked in because the windows looked right out onto the ocean. Awesome place. We ate, drank and be-ed merry - and had a blast on the dance floor. I wore myself out enough that I was able to sleep the whole night in our "Large Double Bed" quite soundly.

Sunday after lunch, we really tried to do some touristy things before we left. However, the Beach Boardwalk had no parking, and the Mystery Spot was a bust. So home we went. All in all, it was a great weekend. A lot of laughs and unbelievable stories being exchanged. I guess a wedding is as good a time as any to get everyone together for that much fun.

3 comments:

amy said...

awww Santa Cruz!!! Memories like the corner of my mind...scattered PIC...tures...
How fun! Wish I could have gone with for sure. You look stunning as always woman! (your blonder too aren't you?)

Alicia said...

Seeing you on the dance floor like that reminds me of our old dancin' days. Miss you girl!

Laurie said...

Your wedding road trip sounds like (challenging) fun -- it's been many years since I've seen Santa Cruz and the famous Boardwalk.

Don't you hate it when you are disappointed by your accomodations? That happens to me a lot. I just spent a few days in Vegas visiting family and stayed at South Point (off the beaten path). I was disappointed by my view of I-15 -- the last time I stayed there I had a Strip view.