Monday, July 13, 2009

Brüno

REALLY?! Really. I don't know what to say about this movie. I'll start with "It wasn't good." Let me explain...

I'm totally the type of girl that can handle a raunchy movie. In fact, I love it when it's done right. (And I'm not talking about American Pie.) Even though Borat was extreme, I really liked that movie. And I'm a total fan of the Ali G. Show. That show was so funny because he shined a light on the types of people in America that are less accepting of those around us - by acting like a naive, ignorant fool. It was clever and evoked laughter. I usually think Sacha Baron Cohen is hilarious. And the Brüno character - well he was over the top, and I liked that. But honestly, this movie went to far.

The raunch wasn't for laughs, it was for shock value. It wasn't done in a funny way. It was like they didn't think about it, they just wanted to push the envelope as far as they could. That doesn't work for me. It sounds silly, but I want a little thought put into my dirty jokes! So this one left me really, really disappointed. I think I had a good laugh at 2 or 3 scenes (there were some REALLY FUNNY bits), but for 1/2 of the movie I had my eyes covered (and the shock overshadowed the funny). It made me really uncomfortable, and maybe that's what they were trying to accomplish with this movie? Even my husband (who is the king of dirty jokes) said he felt like a prude after watching it because it made him so uneasy too. So all in all, I'll just say this one is not for the faint of heart. If you plan on watching it, know what you're getting yourself into. I can't believe it was rated R and not NC-17.

And maybe the thing that bothered me the most was that it got resounding applause at the end of the movie. Is that what we've come to? If so, we need to raise our comedy standards quickly.

No comments: