Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night

So I finally caved and got new glasses. The last time I had an eye exam was in November of 2005. I broke those glasses about 8-9 months later and haven't really been wearing any since. I was hoping to get Lasik, but I am not a candidate. I have the most trouble seeing at night because the halo effect on the lights makes them seem triple the size. If I was having a really hard time while driving, I would put on the broken ones - since the lenses are in tact, just the frames are bent out of shape - or I would wear my sunglasses at night just to reduce that glare.

I guess I kept putting off getting new ones because 1) I didn't realize how bad my eyes really were. I mean, I knew the night vision was bad, but during the day I function fine. 2) Glasses are flippin' expensive! and 3) I am a big enough dork without glasses, so I felt like a super dork with them. I don't look at other people in glasses and think they look nerdy. Just myself.

I have vision insurance through work and one of the places that takes it is LensCrafters. I thought that would be perfect, because the glasses are ready in an hour. Awesome for someone who loves instant gratification. And it was pretty easy!

The only part about the eye exam that is torture is the Glaucoma test. They have to puff air into your eyes and if you blink they have to do it over. Now how the heck are you supposed to keep your eyes open, knowing full well that they are going to puff air into it? Its really the anticipation that gets you. My heart was racing as I waited for the puff and as soon as I heard the machine release the air, it was hard enough not to pull my head away, let alone keep my eyes open! So I had to do that one a few times. It was sheer will-power and not wanting to do it again that got me through the process. Phew!

Its funny I didn't realize how much of a fog I was living in until I could see clearly. I sound like a Claritin commercial. But really. The moon and street lights look so much smaller. I could actually see the people on the court at a Clippers game. Our hi-def TV looks better than ever. It was so worth it to embrace my inner (and outer) dork!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dude. you're adorable. and the glasses are awesome.