Monday, June 25, 2012

state street, gelato and an ocean

We had a great day in Santa Barbara today.  We passed my hometown of Oxnard on the way there and it always makes me nostalgic.  Even SB makes me a little nostalgic.  We went to East Beach Park near the Santa Barbara Zoo and just driving by there, it reminded me that when I was 14 years old, my plan was to go to UCSB on a volleyball scholarship and basically just live at the beach.  Never you mind that I wasn't all that good at volleyball.  That was the plan.

Today, a much different (and much better) life than I imagined, I sat on the beach with my husband and we helped Stevie practice standing up.  He can actually stand for about 5 seconds now, which is an improvement from a month ago.  Go Stevie!  Keep practicing, love.


We enjoyed State Street and ate at Mac's Fish & Chips Shop.  We have been trying some of the local places we see on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives and that was one of them.  We got gelato.  I peaked into Forever 21 looking for a skirt.  No luck.  We laughed.  We admired the architecture.  SB seriously has the coolest theaters and buildings.  We walked and walked.  We talked in weird voices.  We stopped in Starbucks.  I put LOTS of Splenda in my skinny iced latte.  It still wasn't very good.  We argued about whether a cyclist or a car has the right of way. We people watched.  We decided if we were homeless, we'd definitely pick a place like Santa Barbara to live.  Those bums (and there are lots of them) have the right idea.  Sorry, I don't think you're supposed to call them bums though.  Hobos?  No, that's not right either.








When we have days like this, I want to have them all. the. time.

2 comments:

Tracey @ Bliss Amongst Chaos said...

Sounds like the best day, and the pics show it!
Well done Stevie, on standing!! Woo Hoo!
Tiny little steps lead to huge accomplishments! :)

Krista said...

i'm just going to tag around you guys for the rest of your life... hope that's okay... :) can't wait to see you in a couple of days!!!