Sunday, June 24, 2012

18 Months Old

Baby: He is getting BIG.  Like difficult-to-carry-around-BIG.  He always wants to be near me, especially if he can cling to my legs.  When he wants Daddy, no other person will do.  He shouts "Hey!" about 100x's a day to me and to everyone he meets.  He can show you his ears, mouth, belly, arms, and feet.  His horrible habits include spitting, screaming, & hitting.  He spends a good chunk of the day being mean, and that's something we are definitely hoping to address in his upcoming therapy sessions.  He sleeps through the night occasionally, but most nights, we still have to get up with him.  God, I'd do almost anything at this point to get a good night's sleep.  His favorite foods change all the time.  The last couple days he loves blueberries.  Can't get enough of them.  He also enjoys cheese, bread, and almost anything sweet.  He can finally hold his own bottle/sippy cup!!  I think his favorite activity is riding bikes.  But he digs cruising in his buggy around town, going on the swings at the park, watching me blow bubbles, and just going for rides in the car.  His hair is out of control and I love it a little too much.  When he has those moments of being smiley and giggly - oh Lord almighty.  I turn into a big pile of goo and it cures any frustrations. He has about a million teeth and his smile is the best.  OK, he actually has 16 teeth.  And his smile actually is the best.

*I tried getting him dressed and taking him out to a nice park for a real photo session, but I'm sure you can all guess how that went.  This is the real Stevie anyway. Always a bit of a mess.
STATS:
Head - Darn, I forgot to write it down, I'll have to update when I check with the doctor.
Weight - 27 lbs 9 oz (75th %)
Height - 32" (50th %)

Parents:  Sometimes we crack, and we make mistakes, and we get annoyed. But as a team, we're in a pretty good place.  We have our little schedule for the most part, and boy, do we cherish any quiet moments we can steal away!  Hubs makes it easier and is such a great dad.  He makes an effort to spend time with Stevie, getting up with him in the morning and feeding him breakfast and hanging out with him.  Then when he gets home from work, he gives him a bottle and rocks him to sleep.  He will even help in the middle of the night!  There is nothing that I appreciate more.  I think any mother would be thrilled to start and end her day the way I get to.  


Mommy's Thoughts:  I can't believe he's been around for a year and 1/2.  So much has happened in such a short time.  When I think about the future, I'm... optimistic.  I get scared sometimes for challenges he (and we) will have to face, but I do look forward to a lot of things.  I might be putting too much hope in how much I think the therapy will change our lives, but that's what I'm clinging to right now.  There just have to be better days ahead.  Days where Stevie can just be a happy boy.  Days where he will run around the park, instead of just wanting to hold onto my legs.  I want to chase him!  Days where he can tell me or show me what he wants instead of screaming or hitting.  Days when he will be able to entertain himself for more than 2 minutes.  Where he will play with toys.  Or explore new areas.  Or just get into trouble.  Oh boy, do I look forward to those days.  I want him to get dirty and play.  And destroy the house and keep me on my toes.  That's a ridiculous thing to wish for, but my vision of little boys includes that.  I'm interested to see how I will handle things and how I will discipline and what he will get away with.  Because no matter how much you think you know yourself, kids change everything!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That face just makes me HAPPY! :)

Krista said...

oh man, it's gonna be a crazy ride! i look forward to it with you!!

Anonymous said...

And PS, those aren't ridiculous things to wish for at all. I quite understand those type of things. ;)

nateyoung said...

Hi! I have been stalking your blog for a while now - I found you from the Lozano's blog. Anyways, I have been meaning to write you and tell you that we had so many of the same issues you're dealing with when our son was younger. We didn't have the heart and eye surgeries, but developmentally, we were right there. We did countless hours of occupational, physical and speech therapies, and I dealt with the clinginess and crying nonstop. Our son, Tucker, was born 7 weeks early, and he's been quite a challenge. But, stay the course, girl. He turned four last week, and we've been therapy-free for six months. For the first time last week at his check-up, the pediatrician was able to mark "yes" for all of the developmental questions she asked! We did a major happy dance in the office at that little milestone! You are doing a wonderful job as his advocate. You and your husband are speaking up and demanding that he gets the help he needs - and that's awesome. My mom told me that my husband and I were going to have to be Tucker's biggest advocates and speak up for him when it was needed because there will be no one else who has his best interest in mind more than his parents. Email me at mandyryoung at gmail dot com (gotta watch for the spammers! hah) anytime you want to talk, vent, or just have someone who's been there know where you're coming from. It will get better because Stevie has YOU for a momma - and you will settle for nothing less than him reaching his full potential.

Mandy said...

Good grief - that comment above somehow was posted under hubby's gmail account. Anyways, email me anytime!
*Mandy*