Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Eye Surgery Update

Stevie survived yet another surgery! This one was "easy"... Or as easy as they come, I suppose. A short, outpatient procedure. We were in the hospital at 5:30am and back home by 11:30am.  It still felt like the longest day in history though.

They corrected his Esotropia, although I don't know how they did it, besides what the doc told me.  He "loosened the muscles on the inner corner of the eyes". At first it was really hard to see any difference, especially because his eyelids are still droopy.  But today I am noticing more and more that those little eyballs are straighter.  Especially with his glasses on.  And he's leaving his glasses on so much longer too.  He must be noticing some difference.

This guy was NOT a happy camper coming out of the anesthesia. The only thing that would comfort him was being held by his papa. The nurses had to give him morphine to calm him down because he kept holding his breath and trying to get out of all the wires and monitors he was attached to. We know his style so we weren't worried and knew he'd be fine once we got out of the hospital.

Once they let us go home, he slept off the medications and woke up feeling like his old self.

We have to put an ointment in his eyes 3 times a day and he's not having that!  So we are just trying our best. I don't think it ever ends up where it's supposed to. We just kind of smear it all over and hope something gets in there!

This should be his last surgery for awhile. We will eventually have to do his eyelids and another heart procedure down the road. But its safe to say we all could use a break from hospitals for a couple years!


Right before they take him from us, every time, they give him a cocktail of meds to relax him. The nurses call it "happy juice". Hubby and I always joke that they should be giving happy juice to the parents too!  It's always so hard to watch them wheel him away into the operating room. In some senses it does get easier, but mostly I don't think it ever will.

I am so proud of Stevie and how tough he is. He's a feisty guy and has never been an easy baby, but he does keep smiling through it all.  We have more challenges ahead, and I know he will handle them like the little champion that he is.

I also know this.  That I will never tolerate hearing Stephen say "I can't".  Because he can. I truly believe with his willpower, grit, and bravery that he CAN do anything. Moms always say this sort of thing, but I'm seriously not gonna take any excuses from this kid.  It might not always be easy, but it can be done.  And that can be a lesson for us all - me included!

God, I love this kid.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Jaana you are such a good mother and keep up that attitude as I look back and I had a feisty mother who wouldn't take "no or I can't" either and thanks to her today I have had no hip surgeries, can walk, and have five beautiful children! Which was never suppose to happen Praise God for Barbara Jean!