Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy's Hands

When I think of my husband becoming a father, two images stand out in my mind.

The first is the way he looked at Stephen when he was first born. He was so amazed by this little creature and sort of in disbelief that we created something so perfect. He took great pride in his mini-me and becoming a daddy came so naturally to him.

The second is the way he handled everything while Stephen was in the hospital for his heart surgery. There were moments of despair and anger. There were moments of comfort and support to me. There were tears as he saw our baby struggle. There was joy in his eyes when we got good news. His heart ached and he worried for Stevie's future, but he never, ever let it get the best of him. He was a pillar of strength and was determined to keep the little one safe and do whatever needed to be done. That's why I love this picture so much. Those hands provided assurance and comfort in a time of uncertainty.

And the way he looks at Stephen now and interacts with him and awes at him, well it would just melt your heart. He is the ultimate daddy, through and through. I couldn't have picked a better man for the job.

Happy Father's Day to a man who truly deserves it.

4 comments:

Krista said...

I love this. I'm glad you picked the right one too! Love you guys.

Alicia said...

I love this. You guys rock.

The Martz Guppies said...

HOW BEAUTIFULLY PUT! Thank you for sharing.

Stacey said...

that is so sweet. one of the best things in life is to see the love of your life become a dad.

Cute haircut!