Friday, February 25, 2011

This is Hard!

I always thought I was born to be a mother. I never worried too much about a career, because I was going to be a mom. And a great mom at that! I was going to be patient and loving and awesome! Its amazing that just a couple of hard days can make you second guess your abilities like crazy... and that has been really challenging for me. How could I be so sure I'd be good at something, and then feel like maybe I'm not?

The boy doesn't sleep.

Recently, his naps during the day have become few and far between. He's exhausted and cranky, but JUST. WON'T. SLEEP. Yesterday his naps totaled an hour and a half. I never knew little babies could even go that long without sleep, but apparently they can. And when its my day's mission to get him to sleep (so that I can sleep or get things done), its annoying that he won't. Please don't judge me, but I actually yelled at my 2 month old. Yeah, I yelled at him to PLEASE STOP CRYING! YOU'RE BEING SUCH A JERK! As if he can help it or even understand my frustration.

He's not always unhappy. For large portions of the day, he smiles and coos and its the sweetest thing. But when he's crying and uncomfortable, it's really hard. I can't put him down even to use the bathroom without him breaking into a fit. He hates the carseat, stroller, swing, sling. He just wants to be held.

My husband pointed out that the main source of my frustration is probably sleep deprivation. 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, plus no naps makes a cranky lady. And I'm positive that he's right. But sleep or no sleep, I keep worrying that I'm missing the enjoyable parts of this experience. It's supposed to be fun, right? And all I can think is how hard it is. And it makes me feel guilty.

Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier. And I know it will. Things in Mommy-land change quickly. I'm sure by the time I'm done typing this, things will already be getting better. A couple days of drama is such a small thing in the grand scheme of things. But in the heat of the moment, I need to remember that. I need to remember that long period of time when we couldn't get pregnant and how BADLY my heart ached for this. I need to remember the time that he physically couldn't cry, because he had tubes down his throat. I need to remember when I couldn't hold him because he was hooked up to all sorts of machines. And I need to remember to just be grateful that he's home and he's healthy, regardless of how much he cries.

I need to remember to quit being such a baby myself. Sigh.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh Janna, you're right: This is a really hard time in mommy-world. Just reading this post makes me cringe and want to cry with you. It's all too familiar. You are sleep-deprived (he probably is too). You are still adjusting (and so is he). AND you have all the glories of hormones and post-baby-crap. It is hard. Especially in the beginning.
And, it WILL get better.
That being said, when you feel up to it, you can call me. Everyone has their tips and I have mine too. :)
Love you!

PBJ Mommy said...

Oh God, I remember laying in bed next to my husband somewhere in the first 5 weeks of my firstborn's life and turning to him and sobbing..."I thought I this was supposed to be fun?...I'm not having any fun...waaaaaaa".

When you hear people gush on about their children and how much they love being parents you think it' all gonna be like that when the truth is the first few months really suck.

The crying, the lack of sleep, the worry they all add up to make a really exhausting, barley enjoyable, suckfest that is the newborn period.

But honestly it does get better.

Not like you'll wake up one day to happy rainbows and puppies better but one day you will stop and realize..hey today didn't suck as much.

Then there will be some more days that suck, then a few better days, then more suck, till one day you'll realize that overall it doesn't suck so much anymore.

And then you'll look back and think ...that really sucked but it was totally worth it!

Hang in there friend.

beyond..beyond...beyond love the pic!

Oliver said...

some advice. you just need to find that groove that works for the both of you. Its hard finding it sometimes, but this might help... its EASY.

E=eat
A=active
S=sleep
Y=you

the first is pretty obvious, but its important to try and get him to eat right after he gets up. then do your things with him, like baths, playing, reading, and all that jazz. hopefully he'll be tired from the food and activity that he'll go down easy for a nap. then you can take care of your things, or sleep too. hope this helps.

The Martz Guppies said...

Jaana, My Jaana! I had the SAME EXACT first child. I always tell Tyler..."She broke us in so good! We can handle ANYTHING Now!" (Hopefully, I'm not jinxing myself). Couple things that may help...do the burrito wrap, another HUGE thing I read in a book was that "babies have no other way to get their energy out besides crying." So may him in a safe place and let him cry for 15-20 minutes, wrap him up and feed him...he should be out like a scout.
Alaina STILL doesn't sleep through the night...and she'll be 7 YRS OLD in March!
Hang in there...and it's TOTALLY OK to have a yell moment to get out your feelings. But don't let it go past that.
In a couple months, he will be on rice cereal, and not long after that...he'll be taking baby food. That will be easier.
And Paul is SO RIGHT! The sleep deprived Mommy makes matters harder. I used to stand in my living room, swaying Alaina, looking out the window at the other homes around me, wishing I was in those homes getting the sleep those people were getting.
Hang in there...I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!

My Secret Life in Lilly said...

Oh Sweetie! Here's my 2 cents worth....Just punch the next person in the face who tells you "Awe, it'll get better!" or "You just need to sleep when the baby sleeps." You will feel so much better instantly! lol~ These hard times are what make the good times fantastic!
He's a cutie!

One other snip-it...photo document everything. Stevie, daddy, mommy..everything. The good, bad,the ugly, and the in between. It will be an amazing gift for all of you. Especially when he has a baby of his own that wont sleep.
Good luck!