Thursday, February 18, 2010

Vancouver

Well, just like the summer games in '08...

I have caught Olympic Fever.

Like, totally hooked.

My husband thinks competition like this is the way we should fight wars. Yesterday was a great day for the U.S. - from Speed Skating to Downhill Alpine Racing to Snowboarding Half-Pipe. I literally watched on the edge of my seat. But along with the victories, there were some heavy crashes. And I feel the heartbreak when people's Olympic dreams come to an end so quickly. They get this one chance. They've been training for it non-stop for years. And then it's over. Like poor Lindsey JacobEllis. She's gonna need some therapy after what happened the last 2 winter games. I felt so bad for her!

But what an amazing ride. Tonight we watch the weirdness of men's figure skating. Don't get me wrong, they are great athletes, but... you know. Men's Figure Skating. Even the news headlines are calling it "Blades of Glory". It's almost too awkward to look away.



GO USA! (With 3 cheers for Finland too!)

2 comments:

Krista said...

yes, the figure skating is so awesomely awesome, but have you seen the double luge? that's pretty awesome too... more blades of glory there. and my heart hurts for those ones with the hard crashes too and it sure seems like there is a TON this year in every sport!! what's up with that? we'll be able to watch some together when next week yeah!!! (can you tell i'm just counting down the days?!)

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

Watched the men's figure skating finals last night. Yes, it is a weird "sport", but these guys are absolutely dedicated athletes. Yea for the American! I guess growing up in Finland I still have that awkward feeling towards Russians that we are supposed to beat them in EVERYTHING! Especially in Hockey! Can't wait for that match-up. I am soooo tired for staying up all hours of night to watch the Olympics, but it is well worth it! I remember ever since we got a television in my grandparents house that we watched Olympics. And I assume I will be watching for years to come.... Can't wait to see you!