Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sleep Sucks (Update)

Sleep is improving! I am so proud of all of us. It wasn't easy to let him cry. We would stand by his bed and rub his back, and talk sweet to him. But we never picked him up, as much as we wanted to.

The first night we tried this, it took Stevie 30 minutes to fall asleep. He cried hard a few times. He woke up twice in the night.

The second night, it took Stevie 15 minutes to fall asleep. His cries were a lot less intense. He woke up twice in the night.

The third night, it took Stevie 8 minutes to fall asleep. He mostly whimpered and whined. Not many tears. He woke up once at 5am.

Last night, it took Stevie 8 minutes to fall asleep (with the sitter!) She said he didn't cry all that much, she just sang him lullabies. He woke up once at 5am.

His naps have been in the crib too. The first couple days, he was ticked when I stuck him in the there. But he's getting used to it I think. He doesn't cry for nap time, just kind of hangs out. It makes him seem like such a big boy.

So, if we can get him to sleep past that 5am hump, things will be awesome! I should mention when he wakes up at 5am, he's AWAKE. Done sleeping. Period. For about an hour. Then he goes back to sleep until 7:30 or so. So we are still tired. But there is so much improvement, that we see hope on the horizon and we are happy with that! In fact, we would like to take a moment and pat ourselves on the back.

---

Thank you.

3 comments:

Krista said...

seriously big pats! its the hardest part to stand by and let them cry and you did it yeah!

Unknown said...

Way to take it like a champ! ;)

Stacey said...

This is such great news to hear from a mom. I love moms that stick with a routine. It's the ONLY way to go. I did that and my kids sleep like champs. I recommend this method to every mom I know or soon to be mom.

Only con: Won't sleep in my arms. But hey, I did lots of that when they were newborns.

Yea for you Jaana! Stevie is just the sweetest baby ever!
Thank you for posting such sweet pics of him. I enjoy it so much even if I don't comment all the time. You guys seem to be doing such a great job.

phew...lengthy comment :)