Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Purging

Every 6 months or so I like to go through my closet and get rid of the stuff I haven't been wearing (to make room for the new stuff of course!) It's one of my favorite things to do. I always feel so liberated for some reason.

This last cycle has been a totally different experience than I'm used to though. Instead of tossing stuff that is too small and uncomfortable, I'm packing up box after box of clothes that are too big. Trust me, I have never had to do anything like this before. It's very strange.

And the realization I had was that I have no problem getting rid of things that are too small. Give them to Goodwill, send them to skinnier people than myself. I don't miss them, I don't think about them... Just get 'em outta my closet! I want no part of them. And I always blame the clothes more than myself. I never thought of myself as FAT (except for a few bad days, you know how it is) So clearly the clothes must have been shrinking. Or something.

But the things that are too big, I have a very hard time parting with. "Just in case", I keep telling myself. I wish I was as quick to part with the bigger clothes and use it as motivation to stay on the smaller side. But I haven't been this weight since High School (?), so I don't quite know what to make of it. I just assume I'll be gaining it back. Of course, when we have more kids I'll need some of the clothes as a giant ol' pregnant lady, but I guess I just lack the confidence to believe that I can get back to this weight again. When I look in the mirror, I don't look any different to myself. I just know my pants keep falling off. And I honestly don't even like talking about it, in case I jinx it somehow.

It's kind of stupid, but true. The moral of the story? Shoes are the better investment. They always fit.

3 comments:

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

You are so cute!!!

Alicia said...

I love this. I love your take on it and I love your rationale. I feel you, friend.

Alicia said...

One more thing... don't you think it's weird how much people love to focus on weight??? I'd much rather feel good about my size, ya know? How I feel about how I look.
I love you.