Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mom Style

It's amazing how mommy mode kind of sneaked up on me. I have a husband who's morning schedule is very flexible, so I always have time to shower and get ready... if I choose that over sleep... And I only have one baby, so Lord help us when more come along!

When Stephen was born, I was exhausted, but kind of felt like I could still do it all. As I got even more tired (which I didn't know was possible) and the baby needed more attention (also didn't know that was possible), things just started falling to the wayside. It started innocently enough.

One day I didn't have the energy to go on my morning jog.
I haven't had the energy since.
Time for a haircut?
Yeah right.
Accessorize my outfit...
Ooops, I forgot!
Um, the house looks like it's part of a Hoarders episode.
Oh well!
Did you make dinner?
Yes, it's called a sandwich.
Quick, the baby's asleep, do something productive!
Dang, he's awake and all I did was check Facebook and update my blog!

Then one by one, my morning routine started to fall off. No time to put on lotion today! The next day, no make-up, only mascara. The following week, no time for ironing. At least during the summer, I could get away with shorts and a t-shirt every single day.

Mommy Uniform for Summer

But before I realized it, I looked like THAT mom. Showing up to the grocery store in yoga pants - no yoga involved - and sunglasses, hoping no one would notice. I used to look at those moms and think that would never happen to me. But when it did, I kind of didn't care.

So the days that Stevie is good, I will take care of myself. And the days that he needs me more, I will take care of him. (Although, I have let him cry numerous times while I got dressed because I certainly can't go to the doctor in my pj's) At least I still have perfectly groomed toenails to go with my shlubby-bubby mom style. Bam!

Whatevs. My fashion diva is still in there, just doesn't get out as much.

What's your mom style? I know I'm not alone!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

I lived in t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops all summer. In fact I'm still wearing them. Sometimes I'm bummed out I leave the house with no make-up and hair in a pony tail, but a lot of days I choose something else over them. Like sleep! I think it happens to all Moms.

staci said...

Oh no, you are SO not alone girlfriend! (says the mom that got up and went to help at her son's school in her sweatshirt jacket & yoga pants). I did put makeup on & curled my hair, so I looked cute, but was comfy too. I'm all about getting dressed & looking cute & stylish, but somedays (ok, a lot of days) it's just not happenin' & that's OK! I loved in your post when you wrote that on the days Stevie needs you more, you take care of him. That's exactly what we as mom's do. Take care of the others first. It's ok. I had a little laugh about the checking fb & posting on the blog too! We are SO in the same boat! You look darling! And I LOVE the pedi! This job called being a mom will all be worth it in the end right?! Even if we do end up with shlubby bubby mom style! :) (I will NEVER, however, wear "mom jeans"!) :)

Flower Mommy said...

yes, after two it does get worse, and the laundry and toy mountains gets bigger and bigger! i swear vacations are the worst to come home to... we came home two weeks ago and there is still laundry waiting to be folded and put away, along with the last weeks laundry, and soon this weeks! haha hang in there! you are doing awesome!

The Martz Guppies said...

I'm SO WITH YA on the Shorts and a Tee. Hence the "Bust out the pants" post on fb. And we all gotta love that Pitty for her little comments! ;)
Believe it or not, I actually can get more done now, then when I had just 1...well 2, because two came when 1 was (almost) 17 months.
My fav is when I put on my make-up and the kids say..."Mom, where are you going?" Ugh...I asked my Mom the SAME Exact thing! And I give the same answer as she did..."No where I just want to look nice for a change!"...and then I go run errands.

PBJ Mommy said...

As long as I'm clean I'm good. This coming from a woman who used to spend the week planning her outfits for the weekend, got her nails done every two weeks and hair done every four weeks without fail.
I always think of that Erma Bombeck quote..."I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep".