Sunday, May 8, 2011

Rice Cereal, Shmice Cereal

So as many people know, our baby doesn't sleep. He has started taking regular 1/2 hour naps during the day which is FANTASTIC but nights are still a struggle. He wakes up every 1-2 hours and after 4 months of this, I'm just plain exhausted. I don't expect him to sleep 8 hours or anything, but 4-5 would be nice!

My mom-in-law has suggested over and over that he take rice cereal to keep him full through the night, but I knew he wasn't quite old enough - until now. He's reached the 4 month mark and he weighs enough and he loves to watch me eat, so I talked to the pediatrician and she gave the go-ahead.

You have no idea how excited this made me. I put all my hopes and dreams of a better night's sleep on rice cereal. Rice cereal was going to solve this problem, I just knew it.

So the first couple nights, I spoon-fed him very little just to get him used to it. He seemed indifferent, so when I got desperate for some rest, we went ahead and put some in the bottle before bedtime. I don't think you're really supposed to do that, but I was willing to try anything at this point.

He slept one extra hour.

And now he's super constipated.

Not worth rushing into. Dangit.

2 comments:

The Martz Guppies said...

Oh Jaana, I'm so sorry! I had the same issues with my first...I'm SO with you on all this. It just stinks that you have to endure this. : (

treen+5 said...

Pretty sure the boys didn't start sleeping for longer than a couple of hours until after 4 months.. Very exhausting for sure. You know it's bad when you wake up and realize you forgot to put your boobs away. Haha, hang in ther momma.