Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bah-humbug...

Want to hear the saddest news ever?

There are no Christmas decorations in our house this year.

Dun-dun-DUN!!! I know. I am usually a big Christmas nerd, but it has just been so busy and we still have home improvements that we're in the middle of, so we decided it would be too much to pull out all the Christmas stuff too. Even if we did decorate, it would only be up for like a week, and then back into boxes it would go. We won't be here for Christmas either. So really, the cards were stacked against us. (OK, they were stacked against ME. I don't think the husband cares all that much!)
The extent of my decorating this year...
I feel so un-merry this year. I am SO not that person... But I think the main reason is that time is just getting away. I talk about that a lot, I know. It pretty much scares the crap outta me!! I'm starting to understand what our parents were talking about. I remember when I was younger, my Dad would always wish Christmas didn't come, because then in the blink of an eye it would be over. As a kid, I thought he was crazy. Of course we wanted Christmas to come! We spent 11 months anticipating it. But now I kind of get what he meant. It's just another representation of how quickly time moves.

For us, 2009 was supposed to be the Year of the Baby, but obviously that didn't happen. So we'll keep our fingers crossed for 2010 and keep practicing! Honestly? It just gets tiring thinking about it constantly. I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet. The few trips I've taken to Target or the mall just made me more grouchy with the lack of parking and rude, pushy crowds. I swore I would see Disneyland decorated for the holidays this year, and while it's still a possibility, it doesn't seem likely. And heck - last year at this time I was in fabulous New York City. There is nothing quite like it to get you in the holiday spirit. I wanted to go again this year, but...yeah. Maybe I'm just expecting too much so I'm feeling let down that things haven't happened. There is just so much I want to do and see!! Then the days and (gulp) years are here and gone before we know what hit us.

I'm glad I'm the kind of person that always wants to be moving and growing and seeing new things. But it goes with the territory to face a little disappointment once in awhile. The thing that keeps me going is knowing we still have a lot of good years ahead of us and plenty more adventures to pursue.

A very fitting song for today, check the lyrics:
(Sorry for the über-cheesy video, its all I could find on YouTube)


2 comments:

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

That is sad...but I get to see you this week so I am happier than ever! Can't wait to have you home for Christmas.
Hugs,
MOM

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh! We are the same person, I think. This song is the greatest and has totally been on my mind. I was even thinking of posting the lyrics.
Anyway, I'm sorry that you are sad about Christmas decorations and what-not. Things will get better. You are too great a person. :)

(I have to admit that I am super happy to see my card displayed though... yeah, I'm that vain. haha.)