Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Hate Benadryl.

What a crazy few weeks I have had. Not because I've been extra busy or anything, but because allergies have taken over my life.

During the day, I'm usually okay - a few sneezes here and there along with an itchy eye or two. Nothing I haven't dealt with before. But when night rolls around and all I want to do is crawl into my wonderful bed and sleep, that's when things really kick in and make my life miserable. I pop a Benadryl before bedtime, but that only lasts about 3 hours. So by 3am, I have to move myself to the couch because I'm sniffling and sneezing and I know my poor husband has to get up in a few hours for work. I will take another Benadryl and sleep a couple hours on the couch. Its a comfortable couch, but come on. Nothing beats the bed. So back to the bed I go, where I may get a couple more hours of sleep. By the time I need to get up, I'm completely groggy and hung over from all the Benadryl. By about 2pm, I'm ready for a nap. And I'm not talking ANY nap. I will end up sleeping pretty hard for a couple HOURS, not even hear the alarm on my phone, not even so much as roll over. Just completely pass out. When bedtime rolls around, I'm still exhausted. But the allergies have started again. So more Benadryl, more restless sleep and the cycle goes on and on.

Last night was the first night in probably 3 weeks where I spent the entire night in my own bed. It was soooo great. And it has lead to me feeling much better today. Let's hope the allergies give me a break. I've dealt with it my entire life - but I can't take it anymore!!! Even made me miss a trip to Disneyland. Unacceptable.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh no! Where I live you can see the pollen from the cottonwood tress floating through the air. (I affectionately refer to it as "California Snow")Here's to better days ahead. It's almost summer and we'll be complaining about the heat.

(I like the photo that accompanies your entry).

Unknown said...

Hello Jaana. I found your blog through Kristas. I too am a maor sufferer of the evil allergies. I always have a sinus headache of some sort. I never take Benadryl. I'm more of a sudafed kinda gal. I was perscribed Allegra before, but it didn't do anything. I feel your pain!

Lovin the Blogs! BTW you and your hubby are so cute!

Ian said...

You should check out the Dr. Neil MD Sinus flush. It's mad gross, but once you get the hang of shooting water up one nose and it coming down the other end, it works pretty well. I get the other end of things, to the tune of horrible sinus death, so it works for both the allergies and that.

treen+5 said...

I'm sorry Janners. That's awful. You've done the allergy test to see what you're allergic to right?