Thursday, December 4, 2008

She Deserved It...?

I have never considered myself a work-a-holic, but I have figured out that a lot of my self-worth came from working really hard, being good at my various jobs, making money, and rewarding myself with stuff. Now, that isn't the case any longer and I am relying 100% financially on my husband. It is really weird and hard for me. I always saw myself as a stay at home Mom, but never a stay at home Housewife. Dream big, right! When I was working my tooshie off at my various jobs, all I could do was imagine the day when I got to stay home, but now that its happened, its freaking me out a little bit.

For the first few months that I was home, the personal business was going really well so I hardly had an opportunity think - I was just keeping my head above water trying to get everything done. Now that things have slowed down, I have to find other ways to occupy my time. (Hence, my three blogs). Anyone who knows me will say "Well this is when she goes shopping!" And I want to. Pretty much every day. But with no income of my own, I feel weird spending my husband's hard earned dough on silly sweaters and shoes. I've been getting by the last couple of months because I was pulling money from my savings account. Money that I had put in there originally, so I figured it was there for me to use. However, I didn't know that whatever I had been pulling out, my husband had been putting back in from his own checking account. Sneaky!

He keeps saying that we just need to get a joined account and share the finances, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet. I can't figure out why, since its always been my anti-feminist dream to have a man take care of me. But I always told him that I wanted my own checking account with some of my own money to buy the things I want without having to justify my purchases. Its not that he ever asks or says anything negative about what I'm buying. Sometimes he laughs when I bring home another jacket, but he's usually very understanding. So he's never given me a reason to NOT want to share the finances.

I suppose the bottom line is that I figured once I was home with OUR children, it would be different and he could take care of all of us as a family unit. But taking care of just me - the same me that spends most of the day sitting on the computer, hanging out with the cat and occassionally doing laundry and other chores? I'm ultra grateful, but I just feel like I don't deserve it.

What a goofy thing to whine about. But how do I make this transition?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PP will you marry me?

David and Ally said...

we each have our own accounts and then one joint that we pay bills etc. from. It works out quite nicely if I do say so myself.

Camille said...

if your hubby says don't worry about it, then don't...spend away!! :)