Sunday, December 7, 2008

John Mayer: Take 2

After a failed attempt at seeing John Mayer in concert this last summer (which we DID get our money back for, by the way), we thought we'd take another shot and see him at an indoor venue where everyone is guaranteed a seat. He was playing at the new Nokia Live Theater in Downtown L.A. and it was a great venue. Absolutely loved it. And that John Mayer is one talented cookie. It was an acoustic show, so just him and the guitar, and he did some pretty awesome stuff. My husband pointed out to me at one point, that he had tuned down the top string on his guitar and was playing BASS with his thumb, while his other four fingers were still playing the chords/melody of the song. Amazing right? As a musician, he is top notch.

As a storyteller... well, let's just say he could have been better. One thing I usually love about acoustic concerts is the fact that you get the know the musician a little. They talk about where their inspiration comes from. And things they have seen that touched them. And stories about their families. And tell funny jokes and antectdotes. But poor John - he basically can't get over himself! Mostly shared how awesome he is as a person and how well his life has turned out. He has 5 grammy nominations, he gets followed by the paprazzi, he has an fantastic dating life, he has lots of money, he is super famous, etc, etc. And then closed with "But I'm still the same old John, right?" I couldn't help but think "Highly doubtful!" I really can't imagine that the old John Mayer, whom I have been listening to religiously since the late 90's, was this full of himself. But he HAS dated Jennifer Aniston, so I guess you can't blame the guy. If I had once dated Jennifer Aniston, I would think I was pretty rockin' too. Eh. I still loved show overall.



On Sunday night, we celebrated my big-little brother's 21st birthday. That was really fun and all the friends came out to play. We had pizza here at the house and then went to a comedy club called the Ice House in Pasadena. I had seen on the events calendar that there was a special engagement that evening, but no details at all. So we weren't really sure what to expect. Turns out, it was "Comedy for Queers" (stand-up acts by all gay and lesbian comedians). We were a little surprised and had some laughs about that before the show began. Like, go figure that we came on that night, right? Then we just enjoyed the show. It was raunchy and hilarious, just like a comedy club should be. And I think the bro really enjoyed himself. And he got HOOKED UP, let me tell ya. Our friends are so nice and generous. So it was a successful night and really fun, busy weekend.

Also got my Christmas decorations up! Love it.

2 comments:

Your Friend in Real Estate said...

Oh my goodness. Sounds like you really had a busy weekend and the "special event" at the Comedy club must have been quite surprising! It must have been the best birthday Jake has ever had! You are such a fun sister! Love and miss you.
MOM

Anonymous said...

looks like fun! i'll admit i'm jealous much, but i'm so glad that you guys are having some good times :)