Monday, September 8, 2008

From LA to Frisco

So this past weekend was our final Dave Matthews Band show of Summer '08. I only got to see two this year because of the canceled Utah show, but both shows were very memorable so I'm OK with it. Plus, next year I'll be 30 when I attend my 30th DMB show. That's got to be some kind of milestone I think!

On Saturday we left bright and early to drive up to South San Francisco and check into our usual Sheraton hotel. We have stayed there the past few years and the beds are just so darn comfortable, we are afraid to take a chance somewhere else. After getting settled, we headed another 40 minutes to UC Berkeley. The town is so different than I expected. Of course there were hippies - we all expected that - but it was just sort of dumpy. But dumpy in a cool, non-chalant way. I guess it's just a typical college town. I don't know why I thought it would be fancier.

We grabbed a pizza dinner right near the college and then walked over to their Greek Theater. It was a general admission show, so we just sat wherever there was room and as usual got stuck next to some interesting characters. Never fails. I have honestly just come to expect it at this point. But the show itself was fantastic! You could tell the band was just digging the crowd and feeding off all the energy at the theater. It was so fun to watch. And during the show, someone had an airplane fly over the stadium that said "Where you are is where I belong. Will you marry me?" And the band actually played the song with those lyrics (Where Are You Going). Talk about a magical moment for THAT couple. I wonder if she said yes. The band closed with a super rockin' encore and by the end of the show, I was feelin' pretty good.

On Sunday, we wanted to grab a bite before we took the trek home and decided we might as well go into San Francisco. No reason not to take advantage of the fact that we were so close to the city. So we headed over to Pier 39 and along the way got to enjoy the sights. I just love it there. After a huge breakfast/lunch, we headed home. We were all pretty tired by the end of the trip, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that we will look forward to next year. Its one of the traditions that I imagine us keeping for years to come.

3 comments:

amy said...

sounds like you guys had super fun!!! what a great way to end your summer! i bet you looking forward to your next adventure this week. thinking of you! how cute the proposal. that is awesome!

Stacey said...

My brother and his wife were there! Said it was so great. I was babysitting for them! Not a huge DMB fan...don't get mad, but later that weekend my Sis-in-law showed me his rare dance moves on YouTube. Pretty cool. I love being band fans. We follow Weezer like you follow DMB. Cool!

Unknown said...

I think I look forward to the trip and spending time with you guys, even more than DMB. But I guess that's the point. :) Love you! Love the photos. You're awesome.