Monday, June 21, 2010

Cat's Outta The Bag

It's been so hard keeping this in for the last several weeks! But now it's all over Facebook, so there are no more secrets.

Yup, we're finally pregnant! It feels like we've been trying forever. In all actuality, it's been almost 3 years. Which I realize is a blip in time in the grand scheme of things. But when you want something so bad, it's really hard to be patient.

We were at a point where we had decided that if by August, we still weren't having any luck, then we would seek out fertility treatments. Seems as soon as we made that decision, the little booger popped up. We were very reserved at first to make any big plans or get too excited because we've been down that road before. And it's a bit of a heartbreak when it doesn't work out. So we waited and waited - hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I was very anxious and nervous for every little thing my body felt. In fact, I still am. I just want everything to go well. And it's terrifying reading about all the things that can go wrong! So I just have to relax and let things happen. And be grateful for each day that goes by without a hitch.

I had my ultrasound at 10 weeks, 5 days. It was kind of an incredible experience. We saw the heartbeat and that little beanie baby was just wiggling all around, doing a little dance. It was so cool. We laughed and cried and finally felt like it was really happening.

The first 3 months have not been all fun and games though. I've always heard the pregnancy stories that you'll be tired and barfy and all that. But oh man. It's like I've lost control over my whole body. I'm not just tired. I'm completely exhausted. Like all the time. My morning sickness wasn't as bad as some, but I had my fair share. (When puke comes out your nose, that's a whole new experience. Gross!) My allergies have been kicking my butt because my allergy medication is not approved for pregnancy. And my food aversions have left me pretty picky. The only thing that sounds good to me is french fries. Or potato chips. I tolerate other things, but I'm hoping in the next few months I'll be able to eat much healthier. I have gone through guilt for eating poorly and being lazy, but I'm learning that for some, it just goes with the territory. So I'm counting on that 2nd trimester to help me feel more normal. Fingers crossed.

So here we go. A new path in our life. We are excited and nervous. We hope throwing a baby in the mix doesn't mess up our happy marriage. And we sure hope we don't mess up the poor kid! It'll be an adventure if nothing else. Wish us luck!

6 comments:

Genevieve said...

How exciting! Congrats! My Mom (a nurse) always says being sick is a good thing during the first trimester p because it means your body is doing what it should be doing during pregnancy :) Easier said than understood when there's vomit coming through your nose, but when you've been waiting so long for something it probably doesn't matter much in the grande scheme of things :) Very exciting!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I'm so excited for you! You will love it. It's hard and yes, exhausting... but the most rewarding job in the world. Congrats!

rustyboy said...

So.

Truly.

Awesome!

Stacey said...

Hip hip hooray! Congratulations Jaana! What a cute little bean!

oceanlover said...

Oh wow, that is soooo exciting! Congrats! Of course it will mess up your marriage, but thats ok so you will have a messy, happy marriage! lol!

Laurie said...

The second trimester is such a relief from all that ails you....here's to smoother sailing and a very happy vacation.