Tuesday, October 30, 2007

9 Years


So I wasn't really thinking about it because of a busy day at work, but my husband reminded me that we met 9 years ago today! I was 18 and he was 18 and we had been chatting online (AOL used to rule my world) for a little while. He invited me to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights. I had never been there and it sounded like fun, so I decided I would go.

Now thinking back, it was a really stupid thing for an 18 year old girl to do - driving an hour out to a city she'd never been to before, planning to hang out with a guy she'd never met, and being the naive, trusting girl that she once was. It was a fun night though. He was harmless and we kissed for the first time during the Wild West Stunt Show (romantic, I know). He never tried to go too far during the kissing in the car as the night came to a close, either. I thought he was cute and respectful. And he thought my name was Jennifer.

Yes, I had lied about my name, because:
1) The pronunciation of my real name can be complicated and
2) He was a total stranger!

I thought he might be into me when my Dad mentioned that he kept getting messages for a Jennifer on our voicemail... All I said was "That's weird..." But he found out my real name on our second date. After a close call with a Jennifer Leather and Convertibles store (I couldn't understand why he was pointing it out to me) I sat him down and told him the truth. He totally used a line, and it worked... "I'm falling for you, not your name." So smooth. I thought it was sweet and we kept taking the hour drive to see each other on weekends.

Its been up and down for the last 9 years, and we had a really rough patch when we weren't together for almost 3 of those years. But I must say the last 3 years that we've lived together and the last 1 year that we have been married has been amazing. I literally love him more every day.


Things are actually SO good, that I keep wondering when something terrible is going to happen. I know that's a horrible way of thinking, but its human nature. When you get used to going through hard times and then all of a sudden things are great - you naturally get suspicious.

Knock on wood that it stays good for a LOOONG, LOOONG time!

3 comments:

amy said...

Love it...love you.

Camille said...

janna johanna, it's camille, amy's friend. it is so fun to read all of that, how cute. it has been way too long since i have seen you. it sounds like life is good and you are happy, so great! it will be fun to check in on you :)

Camille said...

i just noticed i didn't put 2 a's in your name. sorry, i really do know how to spell your name and more importantly say it correctly :)